Sunday, June 13, 2010

Mykonos, Greece

Arrived pretty late in Mykonos but thankfully the place I was staying at had a free shuttle service that picked me up, along with my friend Matt from Adelaide, Australia.  We immediately encounter a really rude girl which we proceeded to talk shiz about for the rest of our time in Mykonos.  When we got in the van she was already inside and said "where are ya'll" from?  Being from the South and having the word "ya'll" incorporated into my daily vocab, I picked up on it very quickly when she said it.  I excitedly said "ya'll, wow, I'm from Texas, what about you?" to which she snobbily replied with a condescending tone "Not from Texas!"  How rude!  Then she asks me where I'm from and when I mention Houston she says "I heard that's the armpit of the US" to which I say "Well that's nice of you to say."  Anyway we didn't get off to a great start with ol Chicago (as we will call her).

Get to the Paradise Beach Club and Resort right around midnight, checked in and got shown to our little bungalows near the beach.  Nothing fancy, but I was rather impressed for a a mere 15 Euro's a night.  I had my own little room with a double size bed, a night stand, some shelves, and electricity.  It had no A/C but I def didn't need any as I froze my buns off the first night with only one blanket.  Crazy enough I was also able to get wireless internet in my room!  My friend Matt ended up staying in the room right next door to me which was nice because I felt a bit safer with him nearby.  The place was set up similar to a campsite and the restrooms and showers were down the walk way a piece.  I tried not to go to the restrooms at night very often because I was a little scared and plus the one night I did, I saw a scary little lizard on the wall that freaked me out.  I was really thirsty that first night I arrived so I walked down to the bar/club area to buy some water.  The moon was out that night and was shining on the water and it was a pretty photo op.
I went to bed shortly after so I could wake up and check out the beach the next day.

My initial thoughts were to layout on my first day in Mykonos, but the wind was very strong making it a bit chilly to get into a bikini.  The sun was shining but that didn't matter.  Instead I wanted to buy a few snacks so I decided to take the bus into the town.  It ran every couple hours or so and was much cheaper than a 10 euro taxi ride into town...and that was only one way!  The bus was about 1.40 each way so I opted for public transport.  The town was cute and easy to get around.  I went and checked out the Windmills first because I didn't want to have to tote around groceries.  When I first got to the Windmills I ended up running into Michael, Leonard, and Alan taking some pics as well.  It was funny running into them since we weren't staying at the same place and the fact that the island isn't that small!



I can't even begin to describe how crazy windy it was that day.  Something like I've never encountered before.  It was so strong you had to fight not to get blown away, I would say these were most definitely hurricane style.  After taking several pics of the windmills I took a few shots of "Little Venice" with the waves crashing in on the buildings.

I didn't wander off to far because I still had to go to the little market and catch the bus.  I was tipped off from the Aussie guys that the grocery store that was next door to the laundry mat was quite a bit cheaper than the one near the bus station. And indeed it was.  I got some juice, pistachios and a  few other snack items to tie me over on my late night hunger binges.  Made it back to the bus station on time and then made the trek back down to Paradise Beach.  When I got back it was happy hour and they were serving discounted drinks at the bar.  I ran into 3 girls on the beach that I had actually roomed with for one night back in Athens.  I chatted with them for a bit then went back to my room to take a nap and escape the wind.


After I got a good nap in, I met up with Matt to eat some dinner.  We just had food at the place we were staying.  It wasn't anything super delicious but it held us over.  We also exchanged texts with the Asian Aussies and decided to go out that night in town.  We shared a cab into town because the cheapo buses had already quit running.  It cost us a little more than 10 Euro but we split it.  We had a few pre-game drinks at the guys hotel room so we didn't have to spend as much at the bar.  Drinks aren't cheap on the islands, that's for sure.  After walking around and trying to figure out what bar to go to, we ended up at the most popular one...Mykonos Bar.  Very original name, don't cha think?  We had a little flier that got us a free shot with the purchase of a drink.  I think I got a mojito and my shot was tequila.  After a few drinks and shots we danced the night away to cheesy American songs and heard the DJ play a recorded track that said "Myyykkkooonoooss" about 200 times! 


 Finally about 2am, Matt and I decided to once again share a cab ride back to the "resort" and this time it was cheaper!  We took the same route, I just think the cabbie that took us into town charged us more because he drove a Mercedes!  When's the last time you saw a taxi rolling around in a luxury car?!  Pretty sure I just passed out once I got to my room, after a few snacks of course.  

The next few days in Mykonos consisted of going back into town with Matt and walking around more.  That first time I went was just a quickie trip but our second time we needed to buy our ferry tickets to Santorini.  Here are a few pics from just walking around town.




How delicious does that meal look?  It was only about 9 Euro and it was 4 pork souvlaki sticks, fries, pita, tomato, onion, and tzatziki sauce!  You better believe I scarfed every bit of that down!  On the bus ride back, Matt and I were lucky enough to get on the bus that the school kids get on when they get out of school.  It took about 30 minutes longer than it should have to get back, but it was fun to see where all the locals lived. Matt and I also grabbed a few beers at the convent store and took them to the beach.  We sat on some fold out chairs and watched the sun go down and just chit chatted.
 

Another day consisted of some straight up beach lounging, people watching, and getting my tan on.  The first few days in Mykonos were a bit chilly and very windy, but finally the wind calmed down allowing me to lay out and enjoy the beach.  It also allowed me to use some of my $17 sunscreen I had to buy back in Athens! A favorite picture I caught, was of a man sun bathing in his thong weenie bikini!
 



So overall Mykonos consisted of a lot of rest and relaxation mixed in with a bit of partying and some great people watching.  But hey, it's the islands of Greece, there's not exactly the most touristy things to do other than laying out on the beach!  Matt and I spent a total of 5 days in Mykonos before catching a ferry to Santorini.  Our last day in Mykonos, we checked out around 12:00 and then grabbed a little lunch while we waited for our hotel to shuttle us over to the port.  While we were eating lunch there were a bunch of random stray cats.  One male cat, in particular, must have been really "in the mood" as he wouldn't leave this poor female cat alone.  Basically at lunch I witnessed the most painful sounding mating going on between 2 cats, it was creepy!

Next stop...SANTORINI!


No comments:

Post a Comment