Saturday, March 20, 2010

Montparnasse Tower

I kept hearing rave reviews on the Montparnasse tower and how it has a better view of the "City of Lights" than from atop the Eiffel Tower.  Because I've already been on top of the Eiffel the last time I visited Paris back in 2005, I decided to check out Montparnasse.  Apparently the Montparnasse Tower is a bit more centrally located and most importantly it lets you see one of the most popular landmarks of the city that you can't see when you are on top of the Eiffel Tower!  What is this landmark you ask?  Well I'll tell ya....it's the EIFFEL TOWER!  Clearly if you are on top of the Eif you wouldn't be able to see it, so that is what is so incredible about Montparnasse...it's also taller than the ol' Eif.  Okay so moving on.  I decided to go at night since previously I went to the top of the Eiffel during the day.  I got there right at dusk so I could see the sun set and I also got to see the Eiffel Tower twinkle at 7:00 pm although it wasn't quite all the way dark.  Here is the sun setting.
After I snapped a few photos I went back inside from being on the 59th floor outdoor terrace.  I read a few little fun facts on the tower and had a coffee to wait for the next twinkle time at 8:00pm when it was completely dark.  I got some gorgeous pictures and a couple cool videos on my camera.  The wind was absolutely crazy that evening.  It the videos you can hear it in the background.

Here are the links to the videos I took on top of Montparnasse Tower of the Eiffel Tower sparkling:

Overall I would recommend hitting up this spot if you ever visit the city!  There is no crazy lines to get to the top and it is actually Europe's fastest elevator that takes you to the 56th floor!  The price is around 10 Euros for adults and 7.50 Euros for students, which of course I used my old student ID...always trying to save a buck, I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment